It’s raining and you’re stuck at home. There are so many things you want to do, but the clouds won’t let any of them happen… or will they? Let’s explore different ways that rainy days can be used as an opportunity for creative problem-solving, deep thinking, and all-around fun!
Why rainy days can feel like a bummer
It’s easy to get bogged down by rain and lose sight of the positives, but you can still find a way to enjoy your time on those gloomy days. We know it feels like a bummer when it rains outside because we’re unable to spend as much time outdoors or do things we love doing during nicer weather; however, there are always ways for us all-weather people.
Ways to enjoy the rain
1) Make some crafts – There are tons of different things you can do while it rains (or at least drizzles!). You could try making some crafts with your kids using materials that you already have, or you could even decorate yourself.
2) Spend time with friends and family – If your friends or family are available, get together while it rains. Play some games or have a movie night! You can also try hosting an indoor picnic! There is nothing better than an evening (or afternoon!) of fun with family or friends.
3) Try new recipes – There are tons of delicious comfort foods that you can make for dinner when the weather is bad. You could also try a new recipe that your family has never tried before!
4) Go on an adventure – If you’re feeling adventurous, get yourself and some friends and go on an outdoor adventure. There are tons of different things you can do- just be sure to dress warmly.
5) Reflect and relax – Join in the trend and take some time to yourself! With so many things happening, it’s important that we don’t forget about ourselves. Take a break from your responsibilities for just one day, get cozy on your favorite couch or bed with soft sheets around you while listening to soothing music. Let go of everything else going on outside this moment, right here and now, as you reflect back onto what really matters most – YOU!
6) Clean inside/outside – Sometimes rain can bring an extra helping of mess inside your house. It seems like every time it rains, you end up with more things that get wet inside. If you’re feeling adventurous, go on an indoor adventure to clean your house! If not, you could also go outside and start cleaning up that garden you’ve been wanting to work on for months now!
7) Start a new hobby – Rainy days aren’t just for “getting things done.” They’re also for taking time to pursue something you’ve been interested in! Whether it’s drawing, playing the guitar, or making jewelry, there are tons of hobbies that you can pick up on rainy days.
8) Give yourself a beauty treatment – Do you have any extra time to give yourself some self-care? Whether it’s a bath or a mani/pedi, it’s always nice to take care of yourself!
9) Go for a walk – Walking is one of the best exercises you can do. Even if it’s pouring out, there are some things that you can do to stay warm and dry if you’re determined to get some exercise!
10) Exercise – Rainy days are some of the best for exercise because you might not be able to do it during nicer weather. Go on a walk, ride your bike, or play sports inside!
11) Start a new book – Have an extra day and some time to prepare? Your rainy days are the perfect time for starting a new book! Whether you decide to try something fiction or non-fiction, there are tons of books that you can start reading during your rainy vacation.
12) Write poetry – Sometimes it’s good to get your feelings out in a creative way. Whether you’re feeling happy or sad, there are tons of different ways you can write down some of your thoughts and turn them into a poem!
13) Make reading time – When you’re stuck inside for the day, don’t just waste the day away! Instead, make some extra reading time. There are tons of books that are good to read during your rainy vacation! [Make list]
14) Journal – Do you have any thoughts that are just cluttering your head? Write them down in a journal! You could even write about how you’re feeling during the rainy days. Whether they’re good or bad, it’s always nice to get things off of your chest and onto paper.
15) Take a nap –If you’re not feeling like doing anything super active, why not have yourself an afternoon nap? You’ll feel much better when you wake up and are ready to go on for the day!
What you should wear when it’s raining out
You want to dress and layer your clothes depending on what you are doing. For example, if you are going for a walk outside, you might want to wear jeans and a light jacket or sweater. But if you are just going to be indoors at home all day, maybe just wear some sweatpants and a t-shirt. If you are going to be out in the rain for a long time, it’s important to have an umbrella! It’s also a good idea to have comfortable shoes since you will probably be doing a lot of walking.
What you should carry with you when it’s raining out
You want to make sure that you have a rain poncho or an umbrella handy. You can also put your phone and money in a plastic bag so that they don’t get wet. If you are walking very far, keep food like granola bars, nuts, or crackers in your bag so that you aren’t caught short without any food! It’s also a good idea to bring snacks for yourself as well as water and electrolyte drinks to keep you well hydrated.
The next time you’re stuck inside because of a rainy day, try one or more of these activities. You’ll be surprised by how much fun and creativity can come out when the skies are gray! Which do you think will work best for your situation?